Saturday, July 31, 2010

3 Things

Three things about myself:

1) I love boats. I've never been on one for any extended period in time but I love them and the idea of them. The confines of a boat seem to be a relaxing kind of limbo- or as Tom Stoppard let Guildenstern put it:

"I like they way they're- contained. You don't have to worry about which way to go, or whether to go at all- the question doesn't arise, because you're on a boat, aren't you? Boats are safe areas in the game of tag... the players hold their positions until the music starts... I think I'll spend most of my life on boats." -Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead by Tom Stoppard

I think I might too. Let's just hope I'm not one for seasickness...


2) I used to sing in a blues band. In my first year of college I met the members of my band, but we didn't know we would be playing together at the time. We all lived in the same residence hall. Fast forward two years and we formed Blue Rooster, first starting out with a lot of Etta James covers then working into our own stuff. We played for campus events a lot, at bars, coffee shops and house parties. I think with the release of a cd right before we all graduated we rose to a cult status- if I miss anything about college, Blue Rooster is it.


3) When I was little my sister Jessica and I started dance lessons. We took tap and ballet. Even though she was two years older than me, I refused to leave her side and dance with the younger class. I was shy, easily distracted, and more in it for the costumes... these things may have resulted in the award I received at the end of my second year. I was the esteemed "Dancer who Tries Hardest." Every girl got a pink award with a couple of dance stickers. While most awards had pirouetting ballerinas, MY award had a bunny in a tutu tripping over her untied laces, looking shocked. Nobody ever ever ever believes that story. Lucky for YOU, I recently unearthed the pictorial evidence:



As if that smile face makes it all better- even the other sticker looks purposefully slanted to represent choreographic failure. Who needs dance anyway when you can be among the uncoordinated majority? Right?? WHO'S WITH ME?!

If anyone is reading this, comment with three things about you. But no one is probably reading this. Huh, I thought I ordered a cake for this pity party...

No comments:

Post a Comment