Sunday, July 4, 2010

Happy 234th Birthday, America!

While I'm not always happy with the way you behave, America, 234 years is quite an accomplishment- especially considering all the trouble you've stirred up over the last two centuries!

How are you celebrating the Fourth of July, random stranger? At this point I probably shouldn't assume anyone is reading this. Wishful thinking.

I woke up a couple hundred miles away from where I am now, so I kissed my lovely young beau goodbye and made a nice morning journey home. Now, I'm sipping iced tea and listening to First Aid Kit's latest and greatest before heading to a party.

Which brings me to business! First Aid Kit is a Swedish indie/folk duo comprised of sisters Johanna and Klara Söderberg. You may have seen their amazing fleet foxes cover video on youtube a couple years back like I did, but their January release "The Big Black and the Blue" just makes my little heart melt! These girls are still in their teens (!), and not only can they stand being near each other they are able to make the sweetest harmonies together. It makes me miss my sisters quite a bit. The music I listen to at any given time has to meld with the mood- the weather, room, time of day, my emotional state, etc. "The Big Black and the Blue" has tracks that channel soft summers, back porches, miles of stars, setting out alone, storms that both delight and scare you, walks in woods that aren't yours... a whole lot of great things.

Watch this video from "The Big Black and the Blue" and check out their album!




In other news, I bought a used dress the other day and it sure is pretty! I can't wait to wear it- a great summery resort-y pattern:



You can't really tell, but that's navy blue, I swear!

Again, Happy birthday USA, everyone enjoy the rest of your holiday! If you're reading and not American: as you were.

No comments:

Post a Comment